Latest posts by Maheen Ahmad (see all)
- Self Projections InterviewwithImad ud Din (Activist) - December 17, 2017
- Meet The Postcard Guy, Danish Khan - June 3, 2017
- Meet Tanzila Khan, The Girl In Wheelchair - May 31, 2017
- How are you?
Alhumdulillah, I am good.
- How long have you been painting?
Umm, I guess from when I was in the 2nd grade. I loved coloring my sketchbook with crayons; sadly I lost all of that early work.
- What does art mean to you?
Art for me is freedom, it’s something that teleports me to the 4th I simply forget what’s happening around me, it’s just me, canvas/sketch book and colors.
- What inspires you?
Everything around me inspires me. Mostly awesome people around me and their work. Inspiration is everywhere you just need to open your eyes.
- Which colors do you like?
- How has the public reacted to your postcards and artistic skills?
I have been experimenting and still am on different mediums and styles, but always wanted something different. While going through that process I came across this postcard series. The new generation has no idea about handwritten letters and postcards. So just to revive that beautiful gesture I started painting postcard. The response was absolutely amazing. Now on Instagram people recognize me by ‘postcards guy’.
- We often hear about artists having to give up their passion for pleasing other people, or for focusing on work. Have you ever experienced that?Yeah, it’s true. This is because we as a nation don’t value art. As long as it’s free they’ll appreciate your work. And one can’t survive without money. In my case, I was sent to engineering school because you know in Pakistan either you’ll end up becoming Doctor or Engineer. Now art is just helping me surviving in this struggling phase where you find a good 9-5 job.
- What is your creative process? Do you plan it all in your head, or is it something spontaneous for you?
Mostly spontaneous, but I specifically need to be in my zone, otherwise I can’t even draw a line. But for postcard, I first select a reference photo on Instagram, start with a simple pencil sketch, and paint it afterward it’s detailing with the pen.
- Who are the artists that inspire you? Or ones that you aspire to be like?Impressionism by Vincent van Gogh and Leonid Afremov, cityscapes by Sunga Park and the list goes on.
- Apart from painting and drawing, what else do you like to do?Mostly it’s photography and traveling with friends. Also, I am looking forward to apply for higher education as well.
- What do you have planned for the future?
I have been a kind of person always thinking ahead and keeping extra options. But now I’m going with the flow, wherever life takes me I am happy with it.
- Are there any movies or cartoons that you particularly like?
Into the wild, Schindler’s list, Pulp Fiction, and the list go on.
- Do you think social media has been helpful in finding you an audience?
Yeah absolutely no doubt in that came across a lot of like-minded people and made good friends. Feedback from social media audience has really helped me a lot in polishing my skills.
- The stereotype states that artists are moody, do you agree with that?
- What music do you like?
Yeah, I am okay with music, no particular taste. But I love to listen to surrounding noises, that’s why I don’t have any sort of music in my cell.
- Which cities do you like to travel to and explore?
Well, cities with splendid architecture. There are a lot of cities in my mind, in Pakistan, I love roaming around in Rawalpindi, Lahore, Karachi streets and abroad I would love traveling across Europe.
- Chai or Coffee?
Obviously Chai. Thanks for not asking Chai or Coke.
- Why is art important?
Earth without Art is just ‘EH’.
Art is therapy. People say they can’t draw. Well, I don’t agree plus it doesn’t matter how it ends up. The process of making art is what it is. In my case, all my anxiety and depression is gone whenever I paint. Any type of art can teacher you about patience and art certainly indicates that there’s best yet inside you.
This is our last question, and thank you for being with us. Do you have anything to say to our readers?
Don’t compare yourself with anyone because you are unique.