Latest posts by Daniyal Siddiqque (see all)
- 15 Problems You Can Relate With If You Are An Introvert - February 17, 2017
- 15 Mind-Twisted Movies You Should Watch In Your Life - November 4, 2016
- Pablo Escobar Spent Roughly $2,500 A Month On Rubber Bands To Hold His Cash - October 8, 2016
Just finished a good series and need a new one to fill the void?
Well if you haven’t yet viewed Netflix’s latest hit crime drama Narcos, stop doing everything and watch it right now.
The ten-episode series starring Wagner Moura, Maurice Compote and Boyd Holbrook intelligently depicts the parallel stories of cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar and the DEA agents Steve Murphy and Javier Peña who hunted him down.
Narcos carried out the devastating rise and fall of infamous Colombian drug lord often called “the king of cocaine” who by the year 1984 became one of the most powerful men in the world. Before you start watching this show let us reveal some of the most fascinating and bizarre facts about Pablo Escobar aka “Don Pablo”. Let’s have a look.
1) Escobar began his criminal career as a teenager, allegedly stealing gravestones and sending them down for resale to local smugglers.
2) At the height of his reign in the mid-1980s Pablo Escobar’s was making around $420 million each week, which totals almost $22 billion a year.
3) By the end of the 1980s, Escobar’s cartel was responsible for supplying 80% of the world’s cocaine.
4) At its peak, Escobar’s Medellín cartel smuggled 15 tonnes of cocaine per day, worth more than half a billion dollars.
5) Escobar smuggled cocaine into the United States using plane tires. Pending how much they flew, pilots could earn up to $500,000 a day.
6) Escobar’s earnings peaked at an estimated 30 billion dollars making him in Forbes list of international billionaires, 7 years in a row.
7) In 1982 Escobar was elected as an alternate member of Colombia’s Congress. Through this, he was responsible for the construction of hospitals, schools, and churches in western Colombia, which earned him the nickname ”Robin hood”
8) Escobar was losing 10% of his earning about two billion dollars each year due to spoilage, rats likely consumed a bulk of those bills.
9) Pablo had an inescapable policy when it came to dealing with law enforcement. The government referred to it as “PLATA O PLOMO”, which meant, accept money; or face bullets.
10) Pablo Escobar spent roughly $2,500 a month on rubber bands to hold his cash.
11) Pablo owned a Learjet specifically for his cash. the small plane he used to transport that cash was sufficient, as it could hold about $10 million.
12) During a single night on the run, Pablo’s daughter, Manuela, got sick. Too keep her warm Escobar burnt two million dollars.
13) Escobar was responsible for killing 3000 people, including 200 judges, 1000 police workers, journalists and an attorney general.
14) Colombian authorities seized some of Escobar’s enormous fleet, including 142 planes, 20 helicopters, 32 yachts and 141 home and offices.
15) Escobar was gunned down at the age of 44 by search bloc, his death ended a 15-month search effort. About 25000 people attended his burial in Medellin.